Sunday, September 7, 2008

How do I turn this thing on?

So, I haven't been posting stuff here. Mostly it's because I don't have time or Internet access. That will change in two weeks, when I go to my site on the island of São Nicolau.

But it's also because I didn't know what this blog was for. That first [very long] post was a roundabout decompression of everything I was thinking and feeling during the first few weeks. Writing that kind of stuff is important for me personally, but for a blog, it's kind of long and tedious and hard to digest. Also, I have a better idea.

The very reason I joined the Peace Corps, I'm realizing, is that I wanted to explore who I am. That mostly means trying out a lot of new things: working with kids, teaching, cooking by instinct (instead of by measuring cup), swimming frequently, playing an instrument, etc. There's a lot of cool stuff I want to do. And I think you should know about it.

So, coming up shortly: my meeting with the President of the Camara (the Camara is the basic unit of local government here, sort of like a county), my hiking trip to a waterfall, and my thoughts on teaching computers without using computers (it's actually easier!).

As for all my thoughts and opinions and feelings... well, I'll still be happy to share some of that, but there'll be less of it on the blog. The best place for that is in letters, which I've already started exchanging with some of you. I love letters! You should see me (or any other Peace Corps Volunteer) when I get a letter. I basically jump up and down giggling like a little girl. And don't even me started on care packages... those things are worth their weight in dark chocolate.

(hint, hint ;-)

That said, I don't have an address right now while I'm waiting to go to island, but I'll announce when I do have one and will make it available to anyone who wants it. And keep sending me yours! I can always be reached (eventually, anyway) at carchase at gmail dot com.

No comments: